Monday, May 19, 2014

Reflection of Google Apps

Reflect on the use of Google Apps in schools with students as well as professional development with other educators. Also reflect upon your experience using Google Apps with your classmates in this course.





  1. Google Apps is a cloud-based productivity suite that helps you and your team connect and get work done from anywhere on any device. It's simple to setup, use and manage, allowing you to work smarter and focus on what really matters. (Google. 2014)
Google apps operates on a cloud so that you do not have to worry about storage or losing your work.  This is super important when so much of what we depend on is on our computer. For example, one app I use is Google Drive.  I put all of my important files in Google Drive so that I don't have to worry about losing my files, in addition, I am able to access those same files from anywhere. I can have an unlimited amount of files.   If I compose my document within drive it automatically saves the information often.  I can shut off all ads within Google apps.  I can share documents and information and have a common documents that everyone can see the changes instantly.  

Using Google calendar would be a great way to have an online workable calendar that everyone can access.  We do not currently use this at my school, but I sure wish we did. It seems as if you get a list of events or items on a calendar and it isn't a document that has everything you need.  Perhaps the time is not listed or you see an event on one document and not another and then you wonder which one is accurate.  With a Google calendar things can be edited and you would see only the new information or if someone puts an event and doesn't have all of the information someone else who knows can add that.  It would be an efficient way to handle events in a school. Sharing is so easy with Google apps.

I love visuals so here is some of what Google has to offer.


I have a personal Gmail account and there are so many great features that can be used in schools, as well.
I especially like how it keeps the emails in a conversation format, this is something that is not available on my school email.  It holds onto attachments and makes it so easy to hold on to contacts.  You just start to type the name of the contact and the email address comes up.

In this class we have used blogger which is something I had set up in another class and Google makes it so simple and easy to use.  I have recently added some images that were bigger than the blog page it took just a few minutes to find out how to fix this.

It is so important for our students to use technology in their daily lives and in their school lives.  Google has so many free products that can be used in schools and make the students technology experiences more meaningful.

1 comment:

  1. I love your visual. Did you make it? I have also used Gmail for many years. I love how it groups conversations (well, now others are following the leader). I agree, keeping documents on Google Drive makes sense. I am trying to do that more, but if I want something to be available anywhere, I will do that. I am trying to get members of a committee I chair at school to use Google Docs to share info and collaborate, but it is a learning curve. We have a good file sharing system, with share drives, that people who are granted access can edit MS Word docs, etc within the folders, so people are comfortable doing that. But you can't access them from home.

    ReplyDelete